Anxiety & Depression Treatment for Adults
Mind over Mood for Adults
A six-week solution that teaches targeted, practical skills.
Ascend's Mind over Mood short-term treatment program provides six weeks of targeted individual and group treatment that teaches specific, practical skills that get adult men and women back on track.
Since you're concerned, the best next step is to give us a call about your specific situation. We're happy to be of service and talk through the red flags that are worrying you.
When to worry about anxiety & depression.
It's natural to feel occasionally sad or hopeless, or to worry that bad things might happen.
Adults face pressure from lots of directions: relationships, money and work, kids, aging parents and more. They face tough situations with big consequences:
- Every time I think about work I just feel churning in my stomach
- I'm really worried about my husband's job, he's very anxious about his new boss and now he's calling in sick a lot
- I just feel irritable about everything in my life lately
- I'm going through a divorce and I dread being alone for the rest of my life
- Nothing's really fun anymore, nothing is ever as good as I expect it to be
- I don't feel like I'm doing great with anything -- my work, my family or my friends
- My son graduated last year but he's still at home and I'm worried about his choices
- My mom refuses my help but her health is terrible and I don't know how to make her see sense
- When it was just my wife and me we were doing okay, but now with the baby everything's spinning out of control
- I'm so worried about my daughter's boyfriend, but she won't listen to me
- I feel like I can't even remember who I used to be
- I feel like everyone around me just takes, takes, takes, but I don't know how to change things
Feeling anxious, worried and down tends to feed on itself. With professional help, you can break that cycle and get back to a happier place.
Watch for these red flags.
- Trouble prioritizing what's most important
- Making detailed lists without actually getting started on doing anything
- Lacking trust in your own decisions, second-guessing your instincts, feeling like you'll probably get it wrong
- Feeling emotionally numb and disconnected
- Always feeling hyper-alert or on edge
- Tension headaches, clenched jaw or teeth grinding, tight neck and shoulder muscles including spasms or cramps
- A return to old habits like nail-biting or hair twisting
- Finding it hard to concentrate on any one thing because worries about other things distract you
- Panic attacks or anxiety attacks
- Anxiety for days or weeks before an event
- Can't remember your last really good night's sleep
- Can't remember the last time you actually enjoyed yourself free of guilt or worry
- Extreme stress around others because they might reject or embarrass you
- Physical anxiety symptoms like a churning stomach, breaking out in a cold sweat, experiencing a metallic taste in your mouth
- Racing thoughts or super-jittery feelings
- Putting off basic activities like showering or changing clothes because you feel too busy
- More reliance on beer, wine or liquor to calm down the anxious feelings
- More use of street drugs or prescription meds to let you get away from chaotic thoughts and feelings
- Big changes in your eating, sleeping or energy patterns or behaviors
- Noticeable energy level changes -- becoming very sluggish, or becoming "hyper"
- Difficulty paying attention or staying "plugged in" to a conversation or activity -- drifting off into their own world
- Feeling useless or worthless
- Generalized worry about the future, or about unspecified bad things that could happen to them, or their family or others
- General sadness or depression, feeling low
No one's to blame.
Anxiety and depression are often simply the mind's way of telling us that we need better ways to handle the situations we face.
Most of us aren't born knowing how to "rewire" our thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
We don't instantaneously develop new ways to communicate in difficult situations.
We may not have problem-solving skills at our fingertips.
That's why our treatment approach is evidence-based: it teaches proven skills that put you back in charge of your thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions. You learn effective ways to communicate even in really tough situations.
And you learn and practice problem-solving skills.
Science-based techniques that improve anxiety and depression.
The Mind Over Mood program gives adult men and women the tools to identify your personal strengths to provide the foundation for greater confidence and new insight into your value as a person.
Then, it provides individual and group training in cognitive-behavioral coping skills.
You get plenty of strategies that you can start using immediately.
That's the best way to get rid of anxiety, fear, and that feeling of being stuck and powerless to help yourself.
These are proven, research-based methods for handling your own feelings, emotions and actions.
They work in all kinds of situations, at every stage of life.
Medication for anxiety and depression.
We believe strongly that powerful prescription medications, while helpful for some clients, should be used with caution. They should not be the first or only treatment choice.
Medication to manage anxiety and depression should always be accompanied by ongoing cognitive-behavioral counseling.
This two-pronged approach helps minimize both dosage and the duration of medication use.
Our on-site psychiatric provider is available to screen and diagnose mental health and behavioral health conditions, and can prescribe psychiatric and mood management medications as needed, including ADHD medications.
I feel down but I'm probably making too big a deal out of it, right?
Maybe, maybe not. Feeling down or emotionally numb sometimes is common. If it's frequent, or never really goes away, it makes sense to reach out for more happiness and peace of mind.
If you're not sure whether you'd benefit from the Mind Over Mood program, just give us a call. We are happy to be of service and to talk through the situation that concerns you.
I've heard that counseling takes a long time to help.
The Mind Over Mood program is specifically designed to deliver highly useful skills that quickly help you start feeling better.
Some counseling practices emphasize ongoing discussion and examination of thoughts, feelings and experience in your past.
Here, we emphasize learning new ways to change your future for the better.